The month of May is National Pet Month and at Furnish 123 Austin, we absolutely love our pets! There are many reasons why owning a pet is a rewarding and beneficial experience (for you and your furry friend alike) – they provide love, they can encourage you to get more exercise, they can protect you in your home and, most importantly, you can help save an animal’s life by adopting! If you’ve been considering bringing a pet into your home, we can’t think of a better month to do so. Consider adopting a pet here in Austin and rescue an animal that is in need of your love.
As rewarding as owning a pet can be, there are always necessary concerns that come with providing a home for an animal. Whether they’re furry, feathered, fluffy or fuzzy, pets have the tendency to make your furniture their very own. BUT by taking the proper precautions, you can pet-proof your home and leave plenty of time for sofa snuggles with your fluffy friend. Here are a few of our favorite pet-proofing tips for your furniture:
- Spray pet friendly lemon or bitter apple scents (or any other natural spray deterrent) on furniture. These are not harmful for your pet and simply produce a smell your pet will dislike. Always test a patch of hidden furniture first, though!
- To prevent pets from jumping on your sofa or chair, try placing masking tape (sticky side up!) on the furniture. The tape will stick to your pets paws, drive them crazy and keep them from coming back.
- Puppies and kittens tend to chew and destroy when they are bored. Keep plenty of toys around the house and exercise your animal during the day to keep them active and engaged.
- Does your pet always gravitate to that one, special spot on the sofa? Consider buying a pretty throw to place in your dog or cat’s favorite sleeping spot to keep it looking fresh – and brighten up your room!
- Keep lint rollers handy! They are a great quick solution to picking up any left behind pet hair.