Living in a small space doesn’t mean you have to sacrifice style. Small is fun, easy and let’s face it: cute!
The way we see it, you can go one of two routes when furnishing a small room or home. On one hand, you can work the smallness to your advantage and create a cozy, intimate space OR you can make the small area feel larger, more airy and just plain bigger with a few easy tricks!
Here are our favorite suggestions for making your small space seem just a little bit larger:
- Open the room up with light, soft wall colors. If you’re looking for that open and airy feel, light colors are a sure bet in brightening up a small space. But don’t be afraid of bolder wall colors, they can actually work to your advantage if paired with the right furniture.
- Put some thought into the way your furniture is arranged! Sure, this may seem like common knowledge but often time furniture can stand in the way of a walkway and general flow of the room.
- Utilize creative storage spaces. Shelving units are your friend! They allow you to maximize storage space and still make it stylish. Think about squeezing in shelves into corners to really make the most of the room. Vertical units also maximize the most of your space by taking up space upwards, not outwards.
- Keep it clean and clutter free! Your mom was on to something when she told you to pick up after yourself. But seriously, a clutter free space can make the room feel its actual size.
- Try to utilize dual purpose furniture. We love our little cube ottomans – they open up to storage space and can also serve as a mini coffee table to hold drinks and snacks!
- Lighting makes a difference. Bring in lots of lamps to create a softer look in the room and open it up.